Part of a nice complex on a raised square close to the south corner of the Old Town, the beautifully baroque Jesuit church of St Ignatius is approached via a romantic baroque staircase which is inspired by the Spanish Steps in Rome (1738). The church itself was constructed between 1667 and 1725 by architect Andrea Pozzo, and same as the rest of the Jesuit churches of that time was modeled on the Gesù in Rome, the mother church of the Jesuits. Both, the staircase and the square in front of the church, are utilized as venues at the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.